Wednesday 18 February 2009

How I nearly climbed Adam's Peak....


On Saturday, 7 of us set off at midnight to climb all 2243m of the holy mountain Sri Pada (Adam's Peak), with the aim of seeing in the dawn from the summit. In the event, the pilgrim crowds of all ages and (lack of) abilities were so dense that, in spite of clambering round and over the aforementioned pilgrims of all ages and (lack) of abilities we got completely hemmed in within 10 minutes of the top and had to sidle back down again. In spite of the disappointment, it was nevertheless quite an experience: more physically challenging than anything I have done before (remember those pilgrims....)and my legs have never hurt so much for so long.

I just have to try again.

2 comments:

  1. Not so sure about the last sentence. I remember trying to do Kinder scout one night and after five hours of hard walking found I was exactly in the place that I started out from. A complete circle had been completed when I was meant to be leading a group in a straight line to the top Shoes scuffed, legs scratched and bleeding, blisters like I had not known possible, muscles and tendons stretched beyond human limits and in such a way that walking was just impossible with out agonies tearing and screaming through my complete body. This does not include the dirt plastered on body, tiredness and general depression that set in on realizing my abject failure. I vowed at that moment that I woud return and complete the mission but you know what---I didnt and life has not been any the poorer for it. There are just somethings not worth the trouble and climbing mountains at night over lame and dyng bodies easily falls into that category--take it out on cockroaches I say !! Cheers Steve

    19 February 2009 09:54

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve for your post....try again, but next time do it during the day! I would have to go up Adam's Peak at night because it's too flaming hot to do it during the day. As time goes on, the urge to get back up there is, I must confess, quietly receding....

    ReplyDelete